Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hello yes I am alive! After spending about a week in bed with a fever I feel refreshed. Isn't it funny how an illness can do that sometimes? I worked through some really productive fever induced contemplation and am enthused to take on the fall with a renewed rejuvenation. I love summer for its warm nights and it's ability to induce nostalgia for my careless youth. That being said there is a clarity that comes with the slip into fall that is unparalleled. I just want to roll up my sleeves and stock pile my apartment in a fit of antiquated winter survival instincts.

I'm not in full production mode as I'm just getting back on my feet health wise. If anything this week has made me realize how grateful I am for some little things in my life.

 these lovely rooster hankies my mom sent me for my birthday which I found stashed in my linen box

one of many hauls from the garden these past few weeks. Dan has made two amazing batches of sauce so far. Its been so delicious we've eaten it before we had a chance to can it. The next few rounds will get the old water bath routine.


THE BEST ice cream I've made so far. I got an ice cream maker for my birthday in July and haven't used it as much as I anticipated. I did make some interesting sorbets but then it sort of sat around for most of August. I got a bee in my bonnet yesterday and whipped up a batch of smores ice cream. I used this recipe. Seriously folks its so easy im pretty sure you wouldn't need an ice cream maker for it. I'm excited to try out some more recipes. I think mint chocolate chip or apple pie might be next. I'll keep you posted.

I'm so grateful for even this tiny amount of chamomile that my german chamomile produced before it kicked the bucket during a heat wave a few weeks ago. I have the toughest time growing chamomile. Any one else have that problem? I'm going to try to start another indoors for the winter. I'm thinking I'll add these beautiful flowers to my next batch of soap.
My favorite part of having a garden is always having flowers on the table. Even if its just a tiny sprig in a bud vase. I'll miss that during the winter. I have grand plans (as I do every winter) that i'm going to force  bulbs for Christmas time. I never seem to be overwhelmingly successful. My apartment has fairly horrible lighting and the plants just seem to wallow in the diminished winter light. Maybe this will be the year I'll get a light set up that I'm always scheming about.

I also finished a hat but its blocking so I'll show it to you tomorrow when I can take pictures of it. What are you grateful for this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment